Creating plots on one fast machine for another mining machine + leaving gaps between starting nonces

• Hey there guys,

I'm a newbie to burstcoin mining and have a question regarding the plotting of my hard drives.
    This question might already have been asked so I apologize in case it has already been answered and I haven't found it in the forum.

I am currently burst mining on a low end desktop machine with 4 cores which I am also running the plotter on. So far I have 4x 2TB disks available. The thing is that this desktop machine is quite slow plotting the drives, takes about 24 hours for 1 TB.

I also have a high end laptop with an i7-6820 HK and 4 cores/8 threads, which plots about 8 times faster than the desktop machine.

Here's my question: Is it possible to plot the drives externally via my laptop and then use the plots in the desktop machine? Of course I have to make sure the plots are plotted to the right ID and do not overlap. Could anyone please tell me if the miner might run into problems using the plots that have been created on a different machine?

Also, I wonder if I will run into problems, if I let's say plot nonces 0 to 7 500 000 on one 2 TB drive and then plot a second 2 TB drive starting from 8 000 000 to 15 500 000? That is, the plots will not overlap but there will be gaps in between them. Will this cause any problems for the miner afterwards? Or will this affect the earnings from a pool?

I mainly consider this an option because it will make the calculation of the starting nonces a lot easier and I won't have to keep track of the exact number of nonces that have been used for the first 2 TB drive. Also if I'm going to add a few bigger 8 TB drives it might come in handy to just assign a range of nonces for each of them than having to calculate plots that touch each other but do not overlap.

I know this might sound trivial to some of you but I would really appreciate your help or sharing your experience with me.

Thanks a lot in advance ;-)

• @curefrankosflue
    There is no problem with either of your two issues.
    You can plot using another machine just make sure the I'd is correct for the account you wish to mine to and that plots don't overlap.
    Yes you may have gaps in the plots this will not affect your mining.

• Thanks a lot your quick replay and for the info! I'll just stick to plotting with my high end machine then. ;-)

• admin

@curefrankosflue said in Creating plots on one fast machine for another mining machine + leaving gaps between starting nonces:

Here's my question: Is it possible to plot the drives externally via my laptop and then use the plots in the desktop machine? Of course I have to make sure the plots are plotted to the right ID and do not overlap. Could anyone please tell me if the miner might run into problems using the plots that have been created on a different machine?

A plotfile does not know where it was created, so yes you can do that.

Also, I wonder if I will run into problems, if I let's say plot nonces 0 to 7 500 000 on one 2 TB drive and then plot a second 2 TB drive starting from 8 000 000 to 15 500 000? That is, the plots will not overlap but there will be gaps in between them. Will this cause any problems for the miner afterwards? Or will this affect the earnings from a pool?

You can leave gaps ... all is fine as long you have no overlapping ... e.g.:
    0_1488120815220_Unbenannt.PNG

• Thanks for your reply @luxe, this will definitely speed up my operation ;-)

Looks like your connection to Burst - Efficient HDD Mining was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.