Building a 80TB Mining Computer

• UpDate!

I'm going to build a 80TB mining rig, in the future it will be 180TB. I was trying to build this rig as economical as possible, but still have a good amount of power. Although the parts will be used or refurbished, they still have a lot of life in them, and if something dies it can be cheaply replaced. Except for the hard drives they will be new, at a minimum the drives may be manufactured refurbished.Down below you can see the specs.

• MoterBoard: $100
      Manufacturer: SuperMicro
      Model: X8DTL-3F Rev 2.01
      Dual Socket: LGA-1366
      Chipset: X58
    • RAM: 120$
      Capacity: 48GB
      Type: 6x8GB 1333Mhzz DDR3 ECC Registered DIMM ( 16GB chips are $200USD each, thats why I went to 8GB per chip. $1,200USD for ram is insane! I think 48GB is good enough. )
    • CPUs: 30$
      Manufacturer: Intel
      Model: x2 Xeon X5570
      Cores: 4
      Threads: 8
      Base Frequency: 2.93GHz
      Turbo Frequency: 3.33GHz
      Cache: 8MB
    • GPUs: $100
      GPU 1: Nvidia GeForce GTX 660
      VRam: 2GB, DDR5
      Core: 960
      TFlops: 2.008
      GPU 2: Nvidia Tesla M2050
      VRam: 3GB, DDR5
      Core: 448
      TFlops: 1.03
    • PSU: $110
      Out Put: 1200Watts
    • HDDs: $2,300 - $4,700
      Size: 8TB ( Total 80TB, goal 160TB )
    • Cable, Case, CPU Cooler, and etc: $250

Grand total about: $3,000 - $5,500 ( Most of the pricing was based from eBay )

I am trying to save for this in Burst. I have 14 TB now, and 90% of my mining is sent to this project, the other 10% of my mining is sent to the v2Pool asset. The revenue from the v2Pool asset is helping support this project. All you have to do to support this project is buy some shares of v2Pool from the asset issuer, it is 5 Burst per share. The asset dividends are currently based from the pool's fee at pool.burstcoin.ml and as I have mentioned 10% of my mining. In the future the dividends for v2Pool will be paid from the pool's fee, plus 10% of the mining from this rig, and from my 14TB. When I get this rig built I'm going to make another asset, that will buy 80 more TB. The second asset will have a total of 1M shares at 4 Burst per share. The dividends for the asset will be paid from 50% of this rig mining. The rest of the 40% of mining will be sent to pay for the power costs of mining and running the pool's severs. The pool is currently using ~440 KWh a month @ $0.10.

The operating system I will be using is Ubuntu Linux, I will be splitting the drives across both GPUs to improve mining speed. When we get this rig done it will have a total of 160TB! :-)

Asset

The asset is based on 0.70% of the pool's fee and 10% of my mining, payed monthly.

Buy from Asset Issuer to help support this project.
    Asste ID: 14111531369712118954
    Asset Name: v2Pool

Escrow Account: http://burstcoin.biz/address/7846604023645387795 ( Burst will be held for 12 Months, by haitch )

• Checklist
      MotherBoard: N/A
      CPUs:
      GPUs:
      RAM: N/A
      HDDs: N/A
      PSU: N/A
      CPU Cooler: N/A
      Cable: N/A
      Case: N/A

• admin

@Tate-A Wow $230 for WD RED 8TB ?! Just checked ... cheapest in eu is ~340€ :-(
    Very good choice if you can get them that cheap, helium filled means less power consumption.

• WD80EZZX is a green or blue series from a myBook

• @Tate-A
    i would suggest...
    more RAM 64GB+
    a gpu with more ram.
    what about future expansion?
    A sata 8 port controller? not much more than a 4 port.
    Metal case would be better for thermal dissipation & as a Faraday cage.
    RPM on drives could be better. 7200min

• admin

@Focus ... thanks, my source delivered the red as only result ... missed the little difference in product key ...

• @luxe said in Building a 80TB Mining Computer:

@Focus ... thanks, my source delivered the red as only result ... missed the little difference in product key ...

Yeah at $230 I would be buying to resell locally

• @Tate-A I think the motherboard and CPU are too old if you're building new. The motherboard is too expensive for what you get, maxes out at 16GB RAM, and doesn't have USB3.0. The GPU is also too weak at $75 - spend a little more and get something current gen like an AMD RX 470 or a GTX 1050. The 8TB WD drives are slow at only 5400RPM. Seagate archive drives run at 5900RPM and the NAS drives run at 7200RPM. Don't buy the PCI-E SATA adapter until you need it, and you probably won't need to if you fill up USB3.0 ports with drives instead.

And for the love of Burst, buy a proper computer case. Do not try and Matt Damon your computer case out of plywood and glue. Get something like a Fractal Define R5 or a Cooler Master MasterBox 5.

• @sevencardz @iKnow0 @luxe what do you think if I get a motherboard that has dual CPU sockets, I can get the CPUs fairly cheap at work, I can get them cheapre then you can get them on eBay. That's why I wanted to use it CPU, I can get them for about $12.
    The motherboards that work is selling is too old, and does not have a PCI-E x16 slots. But they come with 32 GB of DDR2 ram, lol that's old.
    I can upgrade the PSU, and get a Nvidia Tesla GPU for $20 USD. I can split the drives across both GPUs.

There a motherboard on eBay I'm looking at, has 12 ram slots. Dual CPU sockets, 6 SATA ports. For $100, it looks like I can stick 16 GB in each slot.

• @Tate-A my goal was to build this rig as cheap as possible

• Here my 14TB mining rig.

0_1486157102198_IMG_1505.jpg

• @Tate-A Be careful with that one, it uses registered ram which can be hard to source. If you want to go the cheap route try to find a not to old server dual socket motherboard that includes the CPU's, RAM, PSU and with lots of PCI-E slots (All together or dont buy).

• @Tate-A here is a DIY one i put together. Its an old server rack(free) on its side with a dual socket operton, 26 drives about 80TB.
    0_1486157925326_IMG_20170203_213113.jpg

• @iKnow0 Prettier than mine, mines a mess inside !

• @Tate-A lol have a look at the before picture
    0_1486158767686_MainRig.jpg

• admin

@Tate-A Mainboard with 2 CPUs can make sense in your case (if you get it that cheap) but in times of multicore CPU power can also be provided by simple more cores within one CPU i guess ... you should check speed of that old hardware and compare with modern systems ... it may turn out that a mainstream todays setup beats that old hardware in speed and price over time if you pay a lot for energy.

• UpDate!

I'm going to build a 80TB mining rig, in the future it will be 180TB. I was trying to build this rig as economical as possible, but still have a good amount of power. Although the parts will be used or refurbished, they still have a lot of life in them, and if something dies it can be cheaply replaced. Except for the hard drives they will be new, at a minimum the drives may be manufactured refurbished.Down below you can see the specs.

• MoterBoard: $100
      Manufacturer: SuperMicro
      Model: X8DTL-3F Rev 2.01
      Dual Socket: LGA-1366
      Chipset: X58
    • RAM: 120$
      Capacity: 48GB
      Type: 6x8GB 1333Mhzz DDR3 ECC Registered DIMM ( 16GB chips are $200USD each, thats why I went to 8GB per chip. $1,200USD for ram is insane! I think 48GB is good enough. )
    • CPUs: 30$
      Manufacturer: Intel
      Model: x2 Xeon X5570
      Cores: 4
      Threads: 8
      Base Frequency: 2.93GHz
      Turbo Frequency: 3.33GHz
      Cache: 8MB
    • GPUs: $100
      GPU 1: Nvidia GeForce GTX 660
      VRam: 2GB, DDR5
      Core: 960
      TFlops: 2.008
      GPU 2: Nvidia Tesla M2050
      VRam: 3GB, DDR5
      Core: 448
      TFlops: 1.03
    • PSU: $110
      Out Put: 1200Watts
    • HDDs: $2,300 - $4,700
      Size: 8TB ( Total 80TB, goal 160TB )
    • Cable, Case, CPU Cooler, and etc: $250

Grand total about: $3,000 - $5,500 ( Most of the pricing was based from eBay )

I am trying to save for this in Burst. I have 14 TB now, and 90% of my mining is sent to this project, the other 10% of my mining is sent to the v2Pool asset. The revenue from the v2Pool asset is helping support this project. All you have to do to support this project is buy some shares of v2Pool from the asset issuer, it is 5 Burst per share. The asset dividends are currently based from the pool's fee at pool.burstcoin.ml and as I have mentioned 10% of my mining. In the future the dividends for v2Pool will be paid from the pool's fee, plus 10% of the mining from this rig, and from my 14TB. When I get this rig built I'm going to make another asset, that will buy 80 more TB. The second asset will have a total of 1M shares at 4 Burst per share. The dividends for the asset will be paid from 50% of this rig mining. The rest of the 40% of mining will be sent to pay for the power costs of mining and running the pool's severs. The pool is currently using ~440 KWh a month @ $0.10.

The operating system I will be using is Ubuntu Linux, I will be splitting the drives across both GPUs to improve mining speed. When we get this rig done it will have a total of 160TB! :-)

Asset

The asset is based on 0.70% of the pool's fee and 10% of my mining, payed monthly.

Buy from Asset Issuer to help support this project.
    Asste ID: 14111531369712118954
    Asset Name: v2Pool

Escrow Account: http://burstcoin.biz/address/7846604023645387795 ( Burst will be held for 12 Months, by haitch )

• Checklist
      MotherBoard: N/A
      CPUs:
      GPUs:
      RAM: N/A
      HDDs: N/A
      PSU: N/A
      CPU Cooler: N/A
      Cable: N/A
      Case: N/A

• @Tate-A Whoops, I didn't see your post until just now.

Older CPUs are usually cheaper because they have lower IPC (Instructions Per Clock) as compared to modern CPUs. IPC is much different from GHz. Generally, you always want to get the most modern CPU you can find unless you can source the mobo, ram, and cpu all for less than half of what it would cost to buy new. You can get a modern desktop board for around $100 - $140 and get much more value (and speed) for your money. That old board you posted doesn't even have USB3.0 ports, so I wouldn't pay more than $50 for it. I would recommend at least an i3 for a CPU, but you could get a cheap Pentium D and upgrade to an i3, i5, or even an i7 later (when you're rich). On the 1366 socket, you're going to be stuck choosing from obsolete parts in the future. Also keep in mind that older hardware reaches a point where it actually becomes more expensive because it's harder to find, on top of being obsolete.

For example, even a low-end dual-core from the Skylake generation matches or beats an old Xeon X5570 in terms of single core performance: http://cpuboss.com/cpus/Intel-Xeon-X5570-vs-Intel-Pentium-G4400
    Another thing to note here is that the Pentium G4400 supports OpenCL with its iGPU, whereas the older Xeon doesn't. It's also a nice option to be able to run your system graphics from the iGPU so you can dedicate your discreet GPUs to plotting or mining.

If you can get 48GB of ECC DDR3 RAM for $120, that's not bad, but you only need about 8GB of RAM total to run the OS, a wallet, jminer, a browser, etc. More RAM helps for plotting, but I get along with 16GB just fine.

Looks like your connection to Burst - Efficient HDD Mining was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.